REAP Benefits from Your Network!

by Thomas E. Kenny.

REAP is a concept I learned thanks to Jason Alba's JibberJobber Career Management radio show.

Many people get into networking and think it's just a matter of collecting names and contact info for reference later on. Or if you are in a job search adding to the list of people you can nag or beg for a job.


However, that's not what quality networking is about! To me professional networking is about a fair exchange of information and assistance by both parties.

When I heard about REAP I realized this is some thing I've been doing but didn't have a catchy acronym to share with others so here it is!

So how do you REAP benefits from your network? It's all a matter of asking the following questions.

1 - What books, blogs, magazines and podcasts should I be Reading (or listening) to, to advance my career or job search?
2 - What Events such as job fairs, trade shows, conferences and professional association meetings, should I be attending?
3 - What Activities should I be performing to be more successful?
4 - What People should I get to know to achieve my goals?

So the next time you connect with somebody while you are in a job search. Don't ask them if they know of any good jobs for you. Instead ask for REAP actions and return the favor by advising those in your network what REAP actions they may want to consider!
0 Responses